Friday, 19 January 2018

Kitbashing - the SLA way

So, this Christmas I received a 1:76 scale Airfix Cromwell tank kit - and as I put it together, I was struck by the idea of converting it to something more... unique.

And so, off to Maya I went, with a vague idea of a theme (Cleft turret) and a set of calipers to take measurements from the kit.

Basic block-out
Adding greebles & panel lines
Sliced up into parts for printing
Once I had a working model, it was time to run it through the printer
(fuzzy) phone camera photo of version 1, fresh out of post-print cleanup


Assembly took some work with a file & pin drill (clearances were a bit TOO exact), and it turned out that some parts had to be filed away to let the turret rotate.  The separate cupola was also on the fiddly side.  And so, back to Maya to adjust a few things and off to the printer again.
version 2, before post-print cleanup

Version 2 was definitely an improvement, but the panel lines on the digital model weren't visible on the printed model.  After measuring the panel lines on the airfix kit, it was back to Maya for another round of tweaks.



The turret is printed in such a way that the gun can pivot up and down




Next step - painting the whole model...

Monday, 23 November 2015

Friday, 9 October 2015

Octoartillery

8-legged walking assault gun doodle

3D printing experiments

I've taken the plunge and invested in a 3D printer, so I've spent the last fortnight experimenting with it.
I didn't really have a reason for this - I was just trying to find out what the printer could do.
Since I had the file, I tried printing the papercraft experiment dragon head. After 3 or 4 failed attempts, I managed to get a successful print.


A friend at work asked if I could make him a tracker for his D&D game.  This was what I came up with after a couple of hours.

Saturday, 26 September 2015

Thursday, 17 September 2015

HMPGM

The next evolution of Smart Bomb, able to access specific rooms through air conditioning ducts and the like.

Sunday, 13 September 2015

Greebling Practice - stage 5


First attempt at landing gear - simple telescopic design.  Unfortunately, it looked to flimsy for the size of the ship, so was ditched.




2nd try - a sturdier-looking double-folding design, with twin shock-absorbers.